Song #5: “Eight Miles High” by The Byrds

 

One Song a Day #5: The Byrds — “Eight Miles High”

🎵 Today’s Song

The Byrds — “Eight Miles High”

1966

Random draw

Selected era bucket: 1960–1969

  • Verified remaining eligible population: 9,203 recordings

  • Selection method: Equal-probability era draw, then one uniform random draw from previously unselected eligible recordings in that era

Chart performance

  • Overall pop peak: #14

  • Billboard Hot 100: #14

  • Other relevant Billboard pop charts: N/A

  • Billboard R&B: N/A

  • Billboard Country: N/A

  • UK: #24

  • Yearly rank: #155

  • Weeks charted: 9

  • Weeks Top 20: 3

  • Weeks Top 10: 0

  • Weeks at peak: 1

Billboard chart run:

87 → 53 → 42 → 22 → 17 → 16 → 14 → 21 → 32

The Byrds at this point

  • Charting record: 6th of 16

  • Top-20 hit: 3rd of 3

  • Top-10 hit: No — 2 eventual Top-10 hits

  • #1 pop hit: No — 2 eventual #1 hits

  • Previous Top-20: “Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is a Season)”

  • Next Top-20: None

“Eight Miles High” was the Byrds’ final Top-20 hit. They continued placing singles on the Hot 100, but never returned to the Top 20.

Retrospective standing

  • GOAT overall: #7,565

  • Among The Byrds songs: 3rd

  • Among The Byrds Top-20 hits: 3rd of 3

  • GOAT points: 95,982

  • Hot 100 portion of chart run: #14 peak, 9 weeks

Record details

  • Entered chart: April 9, 1966

  • Released: March 1966

  • Recorded: January 1966, Columbia Studios, Hollywood

  • Single: “Eight Miles High” / “Why”

  • Album: Fifth Dimension

  • Songwriters: Gene Clark, David Crosby, Roger McGuinn

  • Lead vocal / featured performers: Roger McGuinn, Gene Clark and David Crosby on vocals

  • Running time: approximately 3:35

  • Label: Columbia

  • Catalog number: 4-43578

  • Recording to use: The January 1966 Columbia recording released as the hit single

Listen / watch / read

  • 🎧 Original recording: The January 1966 Columbia hit recording

  • 📺 Contemporary footage: Surviving contemporary Byrds performances exist; these should be distinguished from a modern conception of an official music video.

  • 📝 Lyrics: Worth reading separately in this case—the words were much less familiar to me than the recording itself.

Versions & title history

  • Original or cover: Original

  • Important alternate version: The Byrds first recorded the song at RCA Studios in December 1965. Columbia objected to its artists releasing a recording made at a competing studio, so the band recorded it again for Columbia. The second recording became the hit.

  • Same-title unrelated chart hits: None identified

Streaming note

There are two important Byrds studio recordings of “Eight Miles High.” The January 1966 Columbia version is the recording that charted and is the one being rated here. The earlier RCA version is an interesting comparison but is not the hit recording.

My rating: 52/100


A #14 Hit That Became Much Bigger Than #14

I knew “Eight Miles High” long before this project. Growing up, most of my exposure to music came from local pop stations and a classic-rock station, and “Eight Miles High” was in pretty regular rotation on the latter. It has always felt to me like it sits squarely in the classic-rock canon.

What I had never really considered was how little its original chart performance resembles its eventual reputation.

“Eight Miles High” peaked at only #14. It spent just three weeks in the Top 20 and nine weeks on the Hot 100 altogether. In my retrospective GOAT ranking, which is based on chart performance, it ranks only #7,565.

That is not the statistical profile I would have expected from a song I've been hearing on the radio for most of my life.

This is the first song in this project where I think its post-chart life is arguably much more important than its original chart success.

“All I Have to Do Is Dream,” our first song, has also survived for generations. But that record was enormous when it was released. Its chart performance and subsequent reputation basically agree with one another.

“Eight Miles High” is different.

The charts said moderate hit.

History said something much more important.

The Strange Chart Career of the Byrds

That discrepancy becomes even stranger when looking at the Byrds themselves.

They were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1991, their first year of eligibility. Yet if you looked only at their singles-chart résumé, “sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer” probably wouldn't be your immediate reaction.

They had two enormous #1 records—“Mr. Tambourine Man” and “Turn! Turn! Turn!”—but only three Top-20 hits altogether.

“Eight Miles High” was the third.

And the last.

That seems almost impossible to reconcile with their historical stature until you realize that chart success is a particularly poor way of measuring the Byrds after this point.

Songs like “So You Want to Be a Rock ’n’ Roll Star” and “My Back Pages” never reached the Top 20. Later, the Byrds would make Sweetheart of the Rodeo, an album that became enormously influential in the development of country rock without restoring them to anything resembling their earlier singles-chart success.

Their commercial trajectory and their historical trajectory were moving in opposite directions.

Spending Some Imperial-Period Capital

There is a concept I am borrowing from music writer and podcaster Chris Molanphy: an artist’s “Imperial Period.”

An act becomes popular enough that its own identity has acquired commercial value. At that point, it can start releasing material that might have been a difficult sell coming from an unknown artist. People will give the record a chance because of who made it.

“Eight Miles High” feels like an Imperial Period record to me.

The Byrds had already produced two huge #1 singles. They had earned enough credibility that when the next Byrds record appeared, people were going to listen.

And then they gave them this.

There is no obvious conventional chorus. The lyrics are impressionistic and fairly bleak. The guitar sounds bizarre. The song doesn't seem particularly interested in reassuring the listener.

And somehow it got to #14.

Initially, I looked at #14 as evidence that this wasn't a particularly large hit. After spending time with the record, I'm starting to see the number differently.

Getting this particular song to #14 in early 1966 is kind of remarkable.

The Importance of “1966”

The date may be one of the most important things about “Eight Miles High.”

When I hear the song today, it sounds like it belongs to the psychedelic, countercultural late 1960s.

Except it isn't from the late 1960s.

It was released in March 1966.

The Beatles hadn't released Revolver yet. Sgt. Pepper was more than a year away. Hendrix hadn't released a record. The Summer of Love was still in the future.

The musical vocabulary that makes “Eight Miles High” recognizable to us as psychedelic rock hadn't yet become normal.

So rather than sounding like the Byrds participating in an established movement, the record sounds like a precursor to what was about to happen.

That's an important distinction.

Move this exact recording ahead a year or two and it probably sounds much more at home in its surroundings. In early 1966, I have a hard time imagining there were many things coming out of a mainstream American radio that sounded like this.

In retrospect, the Byrds weren't moving away from where rock music was going.

Rock music was about to move toward the Byrds.

What Is This Song Even About?

Despite having heard “Eight Miles High” countless times, before today I could have told you almost nothing about its lyrics.

I knew:

“Eight miles high…”

I vaguely remembered something about:

“…when you touch down…”

And that was about it.

Reading the lyrics was revealing because the basic subject is much less exotic than the record sounds. Much of the song grew out of the Byrds’ first trip to England in 1965.

But this isn't “The Byrds Go to London.”

It's a collection of impressions.

The England they describe feels grey, cold, unfamiliar and somewhat hostile. There are people watching them, strange surroundings, bad weather and a general sense of dislocation. David Crosby later explained specific images as memories of London and of the hostile British press reception the band received. Roger McGuinn has likewise described the song as emerging from the band's England trip.

Of course, there is also the other interpretation.

A song called “Eight Miles High” appearing in 1966 was inevitably going to be interpreted as being about drugs. The Byrds publicly denied that interpretation at the time. Later, Crosby was considerably less coy about the double meaning, while Gene Clark described the song as encompassing both the airplane trip and drugs rather than requiring one exclusive interpretation.

Reading the lyrics without the music, though, my strongest reaction was that they feel almost like a poem.

And that's increasingly how the entire recording strikes me:

a poem set to experimental music rather than a carefully constructed pop song.

And Then There's That Guitar

If there is one thing I've always remembered about “Eight Miles High,” it's Roger McGuinn's guitar.

It is probably the single most distinctive element of the recording.

McGuinn wasn't really trying to play a conventional rock guitar solo. The Byrds had been listening repeatedly to John Coltrane and Ravi Shankar, and McGuinn specifically cited Coltrane's “India” as an inspiration. He tried to translate Coltrane's saxophone ideas onto his Rickenbacker 12-string guitar.

That's an extraordinary idea for a mainstream rock single in early 1966.

And it sounds like it.

The guitar darts around, spills out streams of notes and often seems more interested in creating instability than melody. It doesn't feel like an instrumental break inserted into an otherwise normal pop song.

It helps define the entire atmosphere of the record.

Unfortunately, this is also where “Eight Miles High” starts losing me.

I don't particularly like experimental jazz. So while I can understand intellectually what McGuinn is doing and recognize how innovative it was, the actual sound doesn't connect with me nearly as much as it might with someone who loves that kind of music.

The best analogy I can think of is abstract art in a museum.

I can look at a painting, understand why it was groundbreaking, appreciate what the artist was attempting and be glad that I saw it.

That doesn't mean I want to hang it in my house and look at it every day.

That's more or less my relationship with the guitar in “Eight Miles High.”

Was the Song Killed by Radio?

One of the longstanding stories surrounding “Eight Miles High” is that accusations of drug references caused radio stations to stop playing it and prevented the record from becoming a much bigger hit.

McGuinn himself has told that story very directly.

But there is reason to be skeptical about how much of the song's #14 peak can actually be attributed to the controversy.

Researcher Mark Teehan examined contemporary regional sales charts and radio surveys and found that the song was already losing momentum before the Gavin Report recommended on April 29 that stations withdraw it from airplay. In his sample of 23 regional markets, “Eight Miles High” failed to reach the Top Five anywhere; among 30 radio-station surveys, it reached the Top 10 on only seven.

Our Billboard data tells a similar-looking story:

87 → 53 → 42 → 22 → 17 → 16 → 14 → 21 → 32

That doesn't look much like a record rocketing toward #1 until someone suddenly pulled the plug.

The controversy probably didn't help.

But after spending the morning listening closely to this song, I find the alternative explanation pretty persuasive:

Maybe #14 was already an impressive result for such an unconventional record.

The Other “Eight Miles High”

There is also an earlier recording.

The Byrds originally recorded “Eight Miles High” at RCA Studios in December 1965. Because they were signed to Columbia, that created a contractual fight, and they ultimately rerecorded the song at Columbia. Crosby later maintained that he preferred the RCA version.

I listened to it.

I think it's slightly better.

It sounds a little rawer to me, but I don't hear the two versions as radically different interpretations. The fundamental character of the song is already there, including most of the things I like and don't like about it.

So it didn't unlock the song for me. It mostly confirmed that my reaction isn't really about the particular recording.

It's about the song's entire aesthetic.

What Happened Next?

This is the last Byrds song chronologically that can appear in this project because it was their final Top-20 hit.

But it's nowhere near the end of the Byrds' historical importance.

Gene Clark left around the time “Eight Miles High” was released. David Crosby would later leave and become part of Crosby, Stills & Nash. Gram Parsons briefly joined the Byrds, and the band made Sweetheart of the Rodeo, helping establish the path toward country rock. Chris Hillman and Parsons subsequently became central figures in the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Roger McGuinn continued leading various incarnations of the Byrds into the 1970s.

So our Top-20 methodology essentially tells us:

The Byrds end here.

Rock history tells us:

Not remotely.

That's an important reminder of what these charts can and cannot measure.

Final Thoughts

I came away from “Eight Miles High” appreciating it considerably more than I like it.

Historically, I think it's fascinating.

It arrives remarkably early for something that sounds this psychedelic. It marks an interesting transition in the Byrds' career—from a band producing giant mainstream hits into one whose influence increasingly exceeded its chart success. The experimental guitar points toward musical ideas that would become much more common as the decade progressed. And its enormous post-chart life makes the original #14 peak seem almost irrelevant today.

But I'm not rating historical importance.

I'm rating how much I like listening to the song.

And after hearing “Eight Miles High” repeatedly and examining it much more closely than I ever had before, I increasingly find the overall experience bleak and slightly unpleasant.

The weird guitar I've remembered all these years is historically fascinating, but it's drawing from a musical language—particularly experimental jazz—that doesn't appeal very strongly to me. The lyrics are interesting once I understand them, but they're impressionistic rather than particularly engaging to me as a song.

It's okay.

I respect it more than I enjoy it.

And sometimes those are two very different things.

52/100

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song #6: "Love You Better" by Future

Song #10: "Good News" by Shaboozey