Song #26: "No Love at All" by BJ Thomas
🎵 Today’s Song
B.J. Thomas — “No Love at All”
1971
Random draw
Selected era bucket: 1970–1979
Verified remaining eligible population: 9,049 recordings
Selection method: Equal-probability era draw, then one uniform random draw from previously unselected eligible recordings in that era
Chart performance
Overall pop peak: #16
Billboard Hot 100: #16
Billboard Easy Listening: #4
Billboard R&B: N/A
Billboard Country: N/A
Canada RPM Top Singles: #16
Yearly rank: #137
Weeks charted: 11
Weeks Top 20: 2
Weeks Top 10: 0
Weeks at peak: 1
B.J. Thomas at this point
Charting record: 15th of 26
Top-20 hit: 5th of 8
Previous Top-20: “I Just Can’t Help Believing”
Next Top-20: “Rock and Roll Lullaby”
Retrospective standing
GOAT overall: #7,013
Among B.J. Thomas songs in the retrospective ranking: #7 of 24
Among his eight Hot 100 Top-20 hits: #8 of 8
GOAT points: 107,552
Record details
Entered chart: February 27, 1971
Released: January 1971
Recorded: 1970 — Studio One, Doraville, Georgia
Single: “No Love at All” / “Have a Heart”
Album: Most of All
Songwriters: Wayne Carson and Johnny Christopher
Lead vocal: B.J. Thomas
Producers: Buddy Buie and Steve Tyrell
Arranger: Glen Spreen
Running time: 2:49
Label: Scepter
Catalog number: 12307
Versions & title history
Original or cover: One of several early recordings of the Wayne Carson–Johnny Christopher composition; the exact recording chronology is not firmly enough established to describe Thomas’s version simply as a cover of Lynn Anderson’s.
Lynn Anderson: #15 Billboard Country in 1970; did not reach the Hot 100
Wayne Carson: Recorded and released his own version in 1970
Bobbi Martin: #123 Bubbling Under in 1971
Same-title unrelated chart hits: None identified
Streaming note
The original Scepter master is available on compilations including The Very Best of B.J. Thomas – Original Scepter Masters. Later B.J. Thomas re-recordings also exist, so the original Scepter recording is the version to use.
Every Thursday on my drive home, I listen to a rerun of American Top 40 on SiriusXM's '70s on 7 channel. If Casey Kasem announced B.J. Thomas's “No Love at All,” there is an excellent chance my reaction would be: Never heard of this one.
Then I would wait three minutes for the next song.
That is precisely the kind of record this project is designed to stop me from skipping.
“No Love at All” reached #16 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1971. It spent only two weeks in the Top 20. Among the eight B.J. Thomas records that qualify for this project, it ranks dead last in my retrospective chart calculation. I went looking for Thomas discussing the song later in life and found almost nothing. Career retrospectives acknowledge it as one of his hits, but when people had a chance to ask B.J. Thomas about his career, they understandably had more obvious material: “Hooked on a Feeling,” “Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head,” “I Just Can't Help Believing,” “Rock and Roll Lullaby.”
This morning, I wondered whether I'd find enough in “No Love at All” to write 1,000 words.
That is no longer a concern.
Because “No Love at All” turns out to be one of the strangest little artifacts the randomizer has handed me.
Who Was B.J. Thomas in 1971?
I started with a misconception.
I've always thought of B.J. Thomas as a country singer. Even the B.J. Thomas songs I already knew sounded country to me. So when I saw a 1971 date, I assumed I was looking at a country singer crossing into the pop market during an era when that happened with some regularity.
That's not really what was happening.
Thomas grew up in Texas listening to country music, gospel, rock and roll and R&B. His first major national hit was a Hank Williams song, “I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry,” which reached #8 in 1966. But Thomas later remembered that record as being closer to R&B than country, and it wasn't even initially presented to country radio.
By the end of the 1960s, Thomas was firmly established as a mainstream pop singer. “Hooked on a Feeling” reached #5. “Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head” went to #1. “I Just Can't Help Believing” reached #9.
In retrospect, “No Love at All” came surprisingly late in Thomas's first run as a major pop act. Nobody necessarily knew that in 1971. Thomas was only 28, Scepter had recently re-signed him, and #16 was hardly a career-ending result. But over the next several years, his career would gradually migrate toward the country market. He eventually became a Grand Ole Opry member and scored several major country hits in the 1980s.
That's a story for another B.J. Thomas song.
For today's purposes, the important thing is that B.J. Thomas in 1971 wasn't primarily a country singer crossing over to pop. He was a pop singer who would eventually become a country star.
And “No Love at All” gives us an unusually clean demonstration of how blurry those categories could be.
A Song Looking for a Singer
“No Love at All” was written by Wayne Carson and Johnny Christopher.
This was still an era when the distinction between a song and a recording of that song mattered enormously. Songwriters wrote compositions, publishers tried to place them, producers and artists found material that suited them, and multiple singers could record the same song for completely different audiences.
We've already run into the distinction between composition and recording in this project with Taylor Swift's “Blank Space (Taylor's Version).” But in 1970, the distinction operated in a very different marketplace.
B.J. Thomas was particularly well suited to that system. He wasn't selling himself primarily as the author of his own experiences. He was a professional interpreter. Give him a good song, and his job was to make it sound like a B.J. Thomas record.
“No Love at All” circulated.
Wayne Carson recorded it himself. Lynn Anderson recorded it in April 1970 and released it that June. Her version reached #15 on the country chart without making the Hot 100.
Thomas recorded the song later in 1970. His version did the reverse: #16 on the Hot 100 and #4 Easy Listening, but no appearance on the country chart.
That's almost the opposite of crossover.
The song crossed the boundary. The recordings didn't.
Thomas recorded his version at the newly opened Studio One in Doraville, Georgia, run by producer Buddy Buie. The studio would soon become an important center of Southern rock, and Buie's circle of musicians included future Atlanta Rhythm Section members J.R. Cobb and Robert Nix. In 1970, though, most of that history was still ahead of them. Thomas was simply making a polished pop record at a newly opened Atlanta-area studio.
And taken strictly as a polished pop record, “No Love at All” sounds pretty good.
Then I started listening to the words.
Oh No. This Is Not Right.
My first reaction was basically:
Oh no. This is not right.
The first verse begins with a house going up for sale. Why?
Because a couple tried to make their relationship work and couldn't get along.
The song calls them “two fools.”
Then Thomas delivers the judgment: “And ya know that's wrong.”
He doesn't toss the line away. He sounds like he desperately wants me to receive this information.
And I don't agree with him.
The song has already told us these people tried. Their relationship failed. Maybe separating is the healthiest decision they can make. Maybe they still care about one another but are miserable together. Maybe one of them is abusive. Maybe both of them are.
The song doesn't care.
A happy home has been broken up. Therefore these people are fools. And they know they're wrong.
Then we get to the second verse.
Holy shit.
“No love at all” is an impoverished old man standing on a corner with nowhere to go. Then it's a child in the street, dodging traffic and begging for food.
Then it's a troubled young woman standing on a bridge at the end of the world.
Thomas concludes the image with the brutally matter-of-fact observation that it's a pretty short fall.
What the hell?
This is sitting inside a catchy B.J. Thomas pop record with a surprisingly jaunty chorus.
The song's argument seems to be that love is an uncomplicated good: its absence produces misery, so walking away from it is foolish and wrong. But that's a pretty shaky premise. For all we know, “love” is exactly what put that young woman on the bridge. The lyric imagines a world in which love itself apparently cannot be destructive.
There's also a particularly nasty logical jump between the two verses. Two people tried and failed to get along, so they ended their relationship. The song condemns them, then shows us poverty, childhood hunger and suicide as evidence of how awful a world without love can become.
Those things don't prove the first couple should have stayed together.
B.J. Thomas sings the hell out of it anyway.
The Record Is Better Than the Argument
That's what makes this such a strange listening experience.
The melody works, and Thomas sounds excellent. As the record progresses, he commits harder and harder until the ending begins to feel almost gospel-inspired.
If I weren't paying attention to the lyrics, I'd like “No Love at All” considerably more.
Thomas seems determined to elevate what's on the page into a rousing statement about the human need for love. By the end, he almost succeeds.
Almost.
Earlier, I thought Thomas's performance might rescue the lyric. After listening more closely, I don't think that's right.
He rescues the listening experience.
In some ways, he actually makes the lyrical problem worse. Thomas emphasizes the moralizing more strongly than the other versions I've heard. When he tells those two “fools” that they know they're wrong, he means it—or, more precisely, he's such a good interpreter that he makes me believe he means it.
That's his job.
Unfortunately, he's doing it very well.
A Song from 1971
The lyrics sound profoundly dated to me in 2026.
But “dated” becomes more interesting when we put the record back into the world in which it was made.
American divorce was increasing rapidly. The national divorce rate doubled from 2.2 divorces per 1,000 people in 1962 to 4.4 by 1973, with the late 1960s and early 1970s representing the period of fastest growth. California's no-fault divorce law took effect in 1970, and other states would follow.
And this wasn't a social change everyone welcomed. In 1968, Gallup found that 60 percent of Americans thought the government should make divorce more difficult.
Then, in 1971, along comes B.J. Thomas singing about a “happy little home” being sold because two people couldn't get along.
They're fools.
They know it's wrong.
We have no evidence that Carson and Christopher wrote “No Love at All” as a response to divorce rates or no-fault divorce. We certainly don't know that Thomas intended his recording as a political statement.
We don't need to.
A listener in 1971 who already thought modern society was making it too easy for people to abandon marriages could hear this record and recognize that opinion in it.
That's useful context. It helps explain how a lyric that immediately sounded wrong to me could sit comfortably inside a mainstream Top-20 pop record.
It does not make the argument any better.
I'm rating the song I hear in 2026, not giving it bonus points because somebody in 1971 might have heard it differently.
Three Versions of 1970 America
Then I listened to Lynn Anderson's version.
Same song. Very different experience.
Anderson's recording is more obviously country. There's more twang, there's pedal steel, and the whole performance feels lighter and less emphatic than Thomas's.
Most importantly, Anderson doesn't underline the moral judgment the way Thomas does. When she reaches the equivalent of “ya know that's wrong,” it sounds more like the next line in the song.
Thomas sounds like he's delivering a verdict.
Anderson also has material that Thomas doesn't sing. Her version pivots toward a much more affirmative message: give your love to somebody, spread joy and sunshine, give kindness, spread goodness.
Suddenly the song's philosophy is less about condemning people who failed to preserve love and more about putting more love into the world.
Then I listened to Wayne Carson's version.
It begins with an organ. It's considerably slower. Carson isn't as accomplished a singer as Thomas or Anderson.
And then the song takes another completely unexpected turn.
Carson has a passage neither of the other recordings uses. He sings about a man being sent to war to the beat of a drum, receiving a medal for killing someone, returning to the United States and finding people fighting in the streets over the color of their skin.
Wait a minute.
Now “No Love at All” is practically a social protest song.
Carson's version looks outward at a society suffering from war, racism, poverty and alienation. His solution—more love—may be simplistic, but the record feels compatible with the peace-and-love idealism of the late 1960s and early 1970s.
Anderson turns the same idea into an exhortation to spread kindness and goodness.
Thomas removes both of those passages. What's left foregrounds the “happy little home” being broken apart by two “fools,” and Thomas delivers the moral judgment with more force than either of the other singers.
I went looking for an explanation of why these versions differ.
I couldn't find one.
There doesn't appear to be an interview in which Carson, Anderson, Thomas or their producers explain who changed which sections or why. So I'm not going to invent one.
And I definitely don't want to pretend Wayne Carson made the “liberal version” while B.J. Thomas deliberately made the “conservative version.” We have no evidence of that.
Whatever produced those differences, the result is three recordings of the same composition that land in remarkably different places.
If I were teaching a class about popular music as a mirror of society, I might play all three.
The Kind of Song This Project Is For
I understand now why nobody seems to ask B.J. Thomas about “No Love at All.”
It's not one of his biggest hits. It's not one of the records that defines his career. And the closer you listen to its lyrics, the stranger the thing becomes.
But that's exactly why I'm glad the randomizer made me spend a day with it.
Before today, if I'd heard it on American Top 40, I probably would have waited for the next song. Now I don't think I'll ever hear it quite that casually again. If I were making a B.J. Thomas playlist after today, “No Love at All” would absolutely be on it—not because I've discovered a great lost B.J. Thomas song, but because I've discovered a fascinating one.
That's an enormous amount to find inside a largely forgotten 2-minute-and-49-second #16 hit.
But none of that makes me think “No Love at All” is a particularly good song.
There are songs I want to hear repeatedly because I love them. There are also songs I value because they preserve something about the moment in which they were made. They're little time capsules. Sometimes what they preserve is uncomfortable. Sometimes it's ridiculous. Sometimes hearing it decades later makes you wonder how this thing ever ended up on a commercial single.
“No Love at All” belongs much more comfortably in that second category.
B.J. Thomas gives the song everything he's got. The record sounds good. The chorus is catchy. His increasingly impassioned performance may be the best thing about it.
But the harder Thomas tries to convince me of the song's argument, the less I agree with him.
I'd study “No Love at All” more readily than I'd recommend it as a song someone ought to like.
33/100
Comments
Post a Comment