Song #11: "Turn Off the Light" by Nelly Furtado
Song #11: Nelly Furtado — “Turn Off the Light”
🎵 Today’s Song
Nelly Furtado — “Turn Off the Light”
2001 · DreamWorks · 3:36 radio edit
Selected era: 2000–2009
Remaining eligible pool before draw: 9,064 songs
Remaining in 2000–2009 before draw: 943 songs
📊 Chart Performance
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #5
Year-end rank: #34 for 2001
Weeks charted: 25
Weeks in Top 20: 15
Weeks in Top 10: 8
Weeks at peak: 4
Hot 100 debut: August 18, 2001
First entered Top 20: October 13, 2001
First reached #5: November 10, 2001
🎤 Nelly Furtado at This Point
Charting record: 2nd of 12
Top-20 hit: 2nd of 6
Top-10 hit: 2nd of 5
#1 hit: 0 of eventual 3
Previous Top-20 hit: “I’m Like a Bird”
Next Top-20 hit: “Promiscuous” featuring Timbaland
🏆 Retrospective Standing
Billboard GOAT rank: #2,853
GOAT points: 366,260
Among all Nelly Furtado-credited GOAT songs: #4 of 12
Among Nelly Furtado Top-20 hits: #4 of 6
🌎 Elsewhere
UK: #4
New Zealand: #1
New Zealand year-end 2001: #2
💿 Song Identity / Version
Written by Nelly Furtado and produced by Track & Field (Gerald Eaton and Brian West) with Furtado.
The Billboard data identifies the 3:36 radio edit as the chart recording. The Whoa, Nelly! album version runs approximately 4:36, so the radio edit is the canonical version for this project.
Official music video: Yes — the swamp/Chinatown video.
Alternate promotional video: Yes — a lower-budget studio/outdoor version.
Rating: 51/100
There are coincidences, and then there are coincidences that feel like the universe is screwing with your random-number generator.
Today’s random draw gave me Nelly Furtado’s “Turn Off the Light,” a song from 2001. Since this is the first song this project has pulled from the 2000s, I turned on Pop2K on SiriusXM during my drive to work to get myself back into the musical atmosphere of the decade.
And then one of the station promos used a snippet of “Turn Off the Light.”
Out of every song they could have used.
I promise I did not rig this.
I certainly knew the song. “Turn Off the Light” was Nelly Furtado’s second U.S. hit, following “I’m Like a Bird,” and it was actually the bigger of the two on the Billboard Hot 100: “I’m Like a Bird” peaked at #9, while “Turn Off the Light” reached #5.
That surprised me, because that isn’t how I remember the two songs at all.
“I’m Like a Bird” feels like the canonical early Nelly Furtado song. It’s the one I immediately associate with her debut era, and if I were going to put a Nelly Furtado song on a personal favorites list, it would probably be that one. “Turn Off the Light” is a song I remember, but it occupies a much less prominent place in my memory.
The numbers suggest that isn’t just me. Today, “I’m Like a Bird” has roughly five times as many Spotify streams as “Turn Off the Light,” despite being the smaller hit when they were actually on the charts.
That makes “Turn Off the Light” an interesting song in the Nelly Furtado canon. It was more successful at the time than the song that introduced her, but history has largely reversed their importance.
And there may be a reason for that.
So What Kind of Artist Was Nelly Furtado?
If your introduction to Nelly Furtado in 2001 was “I’m Like a Bird,” and then somebody told you she had performed at Lilith Fair, what conclusion were you supposed to draw?
You probably weren’t thinking “hip-hop adjacent.”
You were probably putting her somewhere in the broad singer-songwriter universe occupied by artists like the Indigo Girls, Jewel and Sarah McLachlan. Furtado had, in fact, played four Lilith Fair dates in 1999, before she was famous. “I’m Like a Bird,” with its acoustic foundation and free-spirited lyrics, fit comfortably enough into that picture.
But that picture was incomplete.
Before becoming a solo artist, Furtado had worked with underground hip-hop musicians in Toronto and formed a trip-hop duo called Nelstar with Tallis Newkirk. Hip-hop wasn’t something Timbaland introduced to Nelly Furtado five years later. It was already part of her musical vocabulary.
That makes “Turn Off the Light” a somewhat risky proposition for a second hit.
The safe move after “I’m Like a Bird” would have been to give listeners another song that confirmed whatever they thought Nelly Furtado was. Instead, “Turn Off the Light” immediately complicates the picture.
And listeners apparently didn’t mind. They sent it all the way to #5.
Crickets, Bubbles and Swamp Guitar
At first, I thought “Turn Off the Light” sounded like a precursor to the Nelly Furtado we would eventually get on Loose. After listening to it over and over today, I don’t think that’s quite right.
It still sounds very much like the same person who made “I’m Like a Bird.”
There are delicate, almost harp-like sounds at the beginning. The lyrics contain vaguely mystical phrases about a “magical world” and “living life by the moon.” The whole thing has a sort of modern pseudo-hippie quality to it.
But there are also programmed rhythms and electronic sounds running through the record. During the bridge, there’s an acoustic-guitar solo in the foreground while little electronic blips pop away behind it. Those blips sounded surprisingly like something I might associate with Timbaland, even though Timbaland had nothing to do with this version of the song.
The interesting thing is how comfortably all of those elements coexist.
Furtado explained in a 2001 interview that “Turn Off the Light” was one of the songs on Whoa, Nelly! that she originally mapped out on guitar, along with “I’m Like a Bird.” But she also described her songwriting process as ranging from traditional guitar writing to building tracks from samples and freestyling like a hip-hop MC. She specifically described “Turn Off the Light” as leaning toward traditional R&B.
So maybe the acoustic-versus-electronic divide was never really a divide for her.
The production also does a surprisingly good job of establishing an environment.
There’s an underlying sound that reminded me of crickets or other nighttime insects, particularly at the beginning and end. The longer album version makes it especially noticeable. Combined with all the references to the moon and turning off the lights, it made the song feel earthy and nocturnal before I had paid enough attention to the lyrics to know what they were actually saying.
And during the bridge, some of those little electronic sounds struck me as almost like bubbles.
Later I watched the music video.
It opens in a swamp — a very visibly bubbling swamp.
Well, OK then.
And here is my favorite production credit of the day: the guitar contribution to “Turn Off the Light” is actually credited as “Swamp Guitar.”
Apparently I was not imagining the swampiness.
That might be the thing I most admire about the record. Before I understood what the lyrics were doing—and before I saw the video—the production had already put me in approximately the environment the song wanted me to inhabit.
The video eventually leaves the swamp for a much brighter, more colorful urban setting that looks like Chinatown. I’m not sure whether that transition has some deeper relationship to the lyrics, but by that point I had already gotten something more useful from the video: confirmation that the earthy quality I was hearing in the record was very much part of its aesthetic.
Feeling It Before Understanding It
I listened to “Turn Off the Light” repeatedly while I worked today. Probably 10 or 15 times.
And after all of those listens, I still couldn’t have confidently told you what the song was about.
What I could remember was the chorus. In fact, that was basically the only part I remembered clearly before today. The repeated “tough, tough, tough” and “rough, rough, rough” phrases are extremely effective pop hooks. You can sing along even if you know virtually nothing else about the song.
The verses were different. I kept picking up fragments without really following the thought.
Eventually I sat down and read the lyrics. There is clearly a theme there, and probably a coherent throughline involving vulnerability, loneliness and the difference between how you present yourself and what you’re feeling underneath.
But I also realized that fully untangling it wasn’t particularly important to my experience of the song.
That’s different from saying the lyrics don’t matter. Individual lines contribute enormously to the atmosphere. The references to the moon, nighttime and a “magical world” reinforce exactly the earthy, slightly mystical mood I was already hearing in the production.
The verses seem to be reaching for something deeper, but for me they work more by invoking a feeling than by driving the song.
And maybe that’s why I could listen to “Turn Off the Light” 10 or 15 times without being able to summarize what it was about and still enjoy every listen. I didn’t need to decode the verses to understand the record emotionally.
The production had already gotten me there.
The Missing Middle of Nelly Furtado’s Career
The more interesting discovery today may have been what “Turn Off the Light” does to my memory of Nelly Furtado’s career.
My simplified American-pop-radio version goes something like this:
First comes “I’m Like a Bird.”
Then “Turn Off the Light,” which feels somewhat edgier.
Then she disappears.
Years later she emerges from the wilderness alongside Timbaland with “Promiscuous,” “Say It Right” and Loose, seemingly transformed into an entirely different kind of pop star.
Except that isn’t really what happened.
“Turn Off the Light” already tells us that the first impression was incomplete. The hip-hop and R&B influences were there from the beginning. The combination of acoustic instruments, programming, unusual sounds and pop hooks wasn’t some direction she suddenly discovered in 2006.
And there was an entire chapter between Whoa, Nelly! and Loose that American pop radio largely allowed me to miss.
Her 2003 second album, Folklore, was a substantial commercial comedown in the United States and produced no Hot 100 hits. But Furtado hadn’t disappeared. The album performed considerably better in parts of Europe, reaching the Top 5 in Germany and the Netherlands. And in 2004 she sang “Força,” the official song of UEFA Euro 2004 in Portugal, at the tournament final in Lisbon.
Meanwhile, DreamWorks Records was being sold and eventually folded into the Universal system right around the period when Folklore needed support. That doesn’t explain everything about the album’s American performance, but it certainly wasn’t an ideal moment for Furtado to make a less commercially obvious record.
So when Loose arrived in 2006, the transformation probably seemed much more abrupt to an American listener than it did from Nelly Furtado’s side of the microphone.
After spending a day with “Turn Off the Light,” I don’t think its significance is that it somehow “predicts” Timbaland.
Nelly Furtado was probably always hip-hop influenced. “I’m Like a Bird” just wasn’t the song that was going to make you realize it.
“Turn Off the Light,” only one hit later, gives you a much broader picture of what was actually in her wheelhouse.
“I’m Like a Bird” didn’t misrepresent Nelly Furtado. It represented one part of an unusually eclectic artist. But because it was the first part most Americans saw—and because it became the more enduring song—we mistook that part for the whole.
“Turn Off the Light” was the bigger hit that immediately told us the story was going to be more complicated.
We just don’t remember it that way.
So, Do I Actually Like It?
Sure.
That’s about as enthusiastic as I can get.
“Turn Off the Light” is perfectly pleasant. I listened to it an absurd number of times today and never got tired of it. There’s nothing about it that I particularly dislike. The chorus is catchy. The production is much more interesting than I had ever noticed before. It establishes its mood remarkably well.
But it doesn’t really resonate with me.
I don’t currently have any Nelly Furtado songs among my favorites, and if I were going to add one, it would probably be “I’m Like a Bird,” not this one.
The funny thing is that I now find “Turn Off the Light” considerably more interesting than I like it.
Learning about Furtado’s background, listening closely to the production and figuring out where the song sits in her career gave me much more appreciation for what she was doing.
It didn’t make me want to put the song on a favorites playlist.
And that’s fine.
Sometimes this project uncovers a song I like much more than I expected. Sometimes it uncovers a song I like less. And sometimes it takes a song that I thought was merely OK, gives me several hours’ worth of interesting things to think about, and leaves me thinking:
Yep.
It’s still OK.
Rating: 51/100
Comments
Post a Comment