Song #15: "I Belong to You (Every Time I See Your Face)" by Rome

 

Rome — “I Belong to You (Every Time I See Your Face)”

Today’s Song

Song: “I Belong to You (Every Time I See Your Face)”
Artist: Rome
Year: 1997
My rating: 40/100

Random draw

Selected era: 1990–1999
Eligible songs remaining before today’s draw: 9,060

Chart performance

Billboard Hot 100 peak: #6
Billboard R&B peak: #2
Billboard Country: N/A
UK: No significant chart showing reliably established
Year-end rank: #34
Weeks charted: 26
Weeks in the Top 20: 14
Weeks in the Top 10: 9
Weeks at peak: 2

“I Belong to You” entered the Billboard Hot 100 on March 15, 1997, at #79. It reached the Top 20 in its seventh chart week and eventually spent two weeks at #6.

Rome at this point

Charting record: 1st of 2
Top-20 hit: 1st of 1
Top-10 hit: 1st of 1
#1 hit: 0 of 0
Previous Top-20 hit: None
Next Top-20 hit: None

Retrospective standing

All-time rank: #2,778
Among Rome songs: 1st of 2
Among Rome Top-20 hits: 1st of 1
Points: 372,680

Record details

Released: February 1997
Recorded: 1996
Album: Rome
Songwriters: Jerome Woods, Gerald Baillergeau
Producers: Gerald Baillergeau, Victor Merritt
Lead vocal: Rome (Jerome Woods)
Label: RCA
Catalog number: 64759
Running time: 3:54 single / 4:33 album version
B-side: “Do You Like This”

Listen / watch / read

Listen: Rome — “I Belong to You (Every Time I See Your Face)”
Watch: Official music video
Read: Lyrics

Versions / title history

The charting recording is Rome’s original 1997 recording. The commonly available album version runs about 4:33, while the chart single was approximately 3:54.

The song was written by Rome himself—credited under his real name, Jerome Woods—with Gerald Baillergeau. It was not a cover, and there are no other significant charting versions.

There are numerous unrelated songs called “I Belong to You,” making the parenthetical “Every Time I See Your Face” particularly useful in distinguishing Rome’s record.

Streaming note

The principal version available on streaming services is generally the longer album recording rather than the shorter single edit. There is no meaningful identity issue here: it is the same Rome recording that produced the hit.


There are songs in this project that I know immediately. There are songs I know vaguely. And then there are songs like this one, where I look at the artist and title and think: Who the hell is Rome?

That was a little surprising, because “I Belong to You (Every Time I See Your Face)” was not some marginal hit that barely scraped into the Top 20. It reached #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #2 on the R&B chart in 1997. The single went platinum.

This was a legitimately big record.

And I had no idea what it was.

Or at least I thought I didn’t.

I picked a good time to stop paying attention

Years ago, I made a deliberate effort to collect every song that reached the Billboard Top 20 during the 1980s. This was back when doing that meant actually tracking down CDs. Anyone can make the equivalent Spotify playlist now in an afternoon.

That kind of behavior should probably tell you something about how closely I once followed the charts.

I listened to American Top 40 religiously. For most of the 1980s and into the early 1990s, the chart itself was one of the primary ways I discovered music. It didn’t particularly matter what kind of music it was. If it was on the chart, Casey Kasem—or later Shadoe Stevens—was going to play it for me.

Then, somewhere in the middle of the 1990s, that stopped.

College happened. My musical attention shifted heavily toward alternative music and grunge. American Top 40 itself disappeared in its original form in 1995. I wasn’t sitting around studying the Hot 100 every week anymore.

By about 2000, I started following the charts closely again.

That leaves a surprisingly narrow blind spot in my personal chart history.

And Rome landed almost perfectly in the middle of it.

This is interesting to me because the charts really are the great equalizer. A radio station doesn’t have to play everything. Neither does Spotify. Neither does SiriusXM. Your friends don’t listen to everything. Your favorite club doesn’t play everything.

The chart puts everything in the same place.

In 1997, that meant the Spice Girls could sit next to the Notorious B.I.G., Jewel, Savage Garden, Monica, Mark Morrison, Az Yet, Paula Cole—and Rome.

You didn’t have to belong to the audience for any particular record. If you followed the chart, eventually the record came to you.

I wasn’t following the chart.

So Rome didn’t.

Except apparently he did

Then I actually played the song.

And within seconds:

Oh. I’ve heard this.

That was unexpected.

I didn’t know the name Rome. I didn’t know the title “I Belong to You.” If someone had given me a list of major hits of 1997 that morning, this would have looked completely foreign.

But the recording wasn’t foreign.

Somewhere along the way, this song had entered my brain without taking its identifying information with it.

My first useful musical reaction was that Rome sounds a little like a less whiny Keith Sweat.

That’s not really an insult. Keith Sweat has an extremely distinctive voice. You don’t have to spend much time wondering whether you’re listening to Keith Sweat.

Rome is a very good singer.

I’m just not sure I would know that I’m listening to Rome.

And that became the mystery of the song for me.

Why this one?

I listened once.

Then again.

Then several more times.

And I kept waiting for the thing that would explain why this particular song reached #6.

It never arrived.

There isn’t some enormous vocal moment where Rome suddenly blows the doors off the song. There isn’t an irresistible production trick. The lyrics are a completely straightforward declaration of romantic devotion. Even Rome’s performance is relatively restrained.

The song just sort of rolls in, does its thing and fades out.

It’s pleasant.

It’s competent.

And in the crowded world of 1990s male R&B singers, I couldn’t figure out what separated it from everything around it.

I could imagine Maxwell singing something like this. Or D’Angelo. Or R. Kelly. Or Tank. Or Tyrese.

Obviously those singers don’t all sound alike. That’s not really the point. The point is that I instinctively put Rome into that general musical lane, and nothing in “I Belong to You” was giving me a particularly strong reason to create a separate Rome compartment.

Then I watched the video.

CLUB ROME — LADIES ONLY

The video opens outside an expensive-looking nightclub with a wonderfully unsubtle sign:

CLUB ROME
LADIES ONLY

Well, OK.

I think I found the target demographic.

There are men waiting outside this place, which is particularly funny because the club is explicitly telling them they aren’t getting in. Sure enough, the men get turned away while a steady parade of women enters.

Why are the men even standing in line?

Inside, Rome is surrounded by women who appear very interested in Rome. The entire video is basically an advertisement for the proposition that Rome is an extraordinarily desirable man.

The women clearly want to take his clothes off.

Rome also appears to hook up quite a bit for a guy spending four minutes explaining how completely he belongs to one particular person.

None of this explained why the song reached #6, of course. Video views weren’t part of the Hot 100 formula in 1997. People still had to hear the record on the radio or actually buy it.

But the video did explain something else.

This song is almost explicitly telling me:

This is not for you.

Maybe the wallpaper is the point

Once I started looking into how the song was actually marketed, the record began making considerably more sense.

“I Belong to You” was initially developed through R&B radio rather than simply being dumped onto mainstream Top 40. RCA targeted particular regions, especially the Carolinas and Midwest, before expanding the campaign as the record gained traction.

And the song sold.

That’s important.

By early May, Billboard reported that more than 65 percent of the song’s points on the R&B chart were coming from sales at core R&B stores. Radio was certainly helping—it was generating more than 20 million audience impressions—but people weren’t merely hearing “I Belong to You” because programmers had decided to play it.

They were going out and buying it.

So whatever I wasn’t hearing, the intended audience clearly was.

And maybe some of the things that aren’t working for me are exactly the things that made the record work for them.

Rome doesn’t spend four minutes doing increasingly elaborate vocal runs that demand your attention. The production doesn’t suddenly explode. Nothing violently interrupts the groove.

The record establishes a mood and stays there.

And maybe that’s the point.

This isn’t necessarily music designed to make you stop whatever you’re doing and marvel at the singer. It works just as well—maybe better—as music you put on while you’re doing something else. The subdued production and restrained vocal don’t intrude. There’s no sudden key change, screaming high note or dramatic shift that pulls your attention away from the mood the song has already created.

Depending on what that something else happens to be, that can be a very useful quality.

Maybe wallpaper isn’t an insult

That changes the way I think about my initial reaction to the song.

I kept waiting for “I Belong to You” to demand my attention, because that’s how I was listening to it. I was sitting there specifically trying to figure out what made this song special enough to reach #6.

But maybe demanding attention isn’t what it does particularly well.

The video certainly knows the atmosphere it’s selling. So did the radio programmers who placed the record in Quiet Storm and adult R&B settings. In that context, the smoothness and restraint start to make more sense. The song creates an atmosphere without constantly reminding you that you’re listening to a song.

That’s where my description of it as “wallpaper” starts to feel less like criticism.

Good wallpaper contributes to the room without becoming the room.

There’s something utilitarian about “I Belong to You” in the same way. It performs a function. And if it were irritating, awkward or badly sung, it wouldn’t perform that function nearly as well.

None of that means I suddenly love it. It just means that the qualities keeping me from loving it may be closely related to the qualities that made it useful to the audience that did.

The long road to one hit

There’s another reason I don’t want to dismiss Rome as simply some random one-hit wonder who wandered into the Top 10.

He worked for this for years.

Rome is actually Jerome Woods, from Benton Harbor, Michigan. That immediately caught my attention for a completely different reason: Benton Harbor is only about an hour from where I grew up.

Woods grew up listening to his mother’s soul records, particularly singers such as Marvin Gaye and Sam Cooke, and sang in church. In high school he performed in an R&B cover band called Fire & Ice. He later attended Oakwood University in Alabama before leaving school in 1989 and heading west to pursue music professionally.

Then came years of trying to get noticed.

He sang backup for Vesta Williams. He performed showcases. He had originally gone to Los Angeles as part of an R&B vocal group, only to watch the other members eventually abandon the effort.

Eventually he connected with producers Gerald Baillergeau and Victor Merritt. That relationship led to a demo, a deal through Grand Jury/RCA and, finally, his self-titled debut album.

Rome and Baillergeau wrote “I Belong to You” together, and Rome co-wrote nearly the entire debut album.

Whatever I think of the song, Jerome Woods spent years trying to break into the music business, finally got his opportunity, co-wrote his debut single, and watched that single become a platinum-selling Top-10 hit.

That’s not a bad outcome.

There are some echoes here of yesterday’s Grayson Hugh story. Hugh also spent years working around the music business before the right combination of song, collaborators, label support and radio finally aligned.

Neither man was really an overnight success.

The public just didn’t see the years before the hit.

And then?

Rome did get one more Hot 100 hit. “Do You Like This” reached #31 later in 1997.

But there wasn’t another “I Belong to You.”

That doesn’t appear to have been entirely a matter of listeners suddenly deciding they didn’t want Rome anymore. By the time he was preparing a follow-up album, his relationship with RCA had deteriorated. In 1999, Rome publicly complained that he didn’t believe the label was behind the project and noted that RCA’s attention had shifted toward other acts.

The album never received the kind of major-label launch his debut had.

Rome eventually financed his own follow-up and continued recording independently.

That makes it difficult to know what his actual commercial ceiling might have been. The field of male R&B singers was certainly crowded, and nothing about “I Belong to You” makes me think Rome was obviously destined to become the next major superstar.

But he also never really got a clean second attempt under the same conditions.

And considering that he co-wrote a platinum-selling debut single, I’m not sure the story needs to be framed as some great failure anyway.

Pop stardom didn’t last.

The hit still happened.

The connective tissue

I’m starting to become fascinated by how many artists like this the randomizer is producing.

When we remember the history of popular music, we remember the landmarks.

Michael Jackson. Madonna. Prince. Whitney Houston. Nirvana. Mariah Carey. Taylor Swift. The Beatles.

Those artists dominate the retrospective story partly because they keep coming back. Their songs accumulate into enormous catalogs, and eventually those catalogs become our shorthand for an era.

But charts aren’t made entirely out of landmarks.

They need connective tissue.

Rome is connective tissue.

For several months in 1997, “I Belong to You” was a major American hit. People heard it on R&B radio. They bought the single in large numbers. It crossed over to the pop chart and reached #6.

Then popular music kept moving.

Today I can turn on a generalized ’90s nostalgia station and hear plenty of alternative rock, hip-hop, dance-pop and the biggest R&B records. But there’s an enormous middle layer of popular music that doesn’t seem to survive with the same visibility.

Slow R&B feels particularly vulnerable to this.

There were a lot of male solo singers, male vocal groups and female vocal groups occupying various parts of the R&B landscape during the 1990s. They weren’t marginal. Some of these records were enormous.

Yet that world can feel strangely distant from the simplified version of “the ’90s” that gets replayed today.

My wife swears the 1990s were the best decade for music.

We’ve now randomly drawn two Top-20 hits from the decade.

The first was Kris Kross featuring Super Cat’s “Alright.”

She didn’t know it.

The second is Rome’s “I Belong to You.”

She didn’t know this one either.

That’s not evidence that either song was insignificant.

It’s evidence that the music that happened in the 1990s and the collection of music we now remember as “’90s music” aren’t the same thing.

That’s one of the reasons I’m increasingly glad this project uses the actual charts rather than somebody’s curated list of important songs.

The charts make us deal with Rome.

Final thoughts

I understand “I Belong to You” much better now than I did when I first played it this morning.

I’m not sure I like it any more.

And that’s fine.

It’s a perfectly competent R&B record. Rome is a good singer. The production is smooth. The song knows exactly what atmosphere it wants to create, establishes that atmosphere almost immediately, and then stays there.

That may actually be its greatest strength.

But I’ve listened to this thing over and over today, and I still don’t hear much that I expect to remember a week from now. There’s no moment I find myself waiting to hear again. Nothing makes me want to stop what I’m doing and pay closer attention.

Maybe stopping what you’re doing was never the point.

40/100

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song #6: "Love You Better" by Future

Song #10: "Good News" by Shaboozey

Song #5: “Eight Miles High” by The Byrds